Friday, November 5, 2010

My, how you talk...


I met a wonderful gentleman recently. We had exchanged some electronic communication but we had never met personally. As I shook his hand and said "Hello" he gave me the nicest compliment by saying to me, "I have just discovered the greatest drawback to Twitter. There is no way to capture that charming accent."

Now I realize that there is no way to capture my accent on this blog either. My hands will surely not hold out for me to type the way I talk. For you see all my words are looooong and sloooooow. Even the short ones.

My southern drawl is so strong that when I made my way from south Georgia to the big city as a college student, the folks from Atlanta thought I was "puttin' on." In fact, at my first collegiate football party, one student asked me to sit by his parents at lunch so they could "hear me talk".  I was amazed - they were born and raised in Atlanta for goodness sake, not New York City.

I soon learned that it was not just my accent that my new city dwelling friends found entertaining but the southern sayings that were then and are still part of my everyday speech. With just a few words, wonderful pictures come to mind and make your point.  A few of my favorites are:

Go whole hog.
Hollar like a stuck pig.
Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.
Useless as teats on a boar hog.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
(Have you noticed that I am a BIG fan of pigs? I love to cook and eat them!)
In high cotton.
The sun don't shine on the same dog's tail all the time. (My Daddy used to say this ALL THE TIME.)
Either fish or cut bait.

What are your favorite southern sayings and what memories do they bring to mind?
 

3 comments:

  1. "A hit dog always holler's first"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep we have experienced that one alot lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They don't have a pot nor a window"

    "For heaven's sake"

    "Bless her heart"

    Loved this post...loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete